Bugs/Issues/Suggestions

Comments

• @fnanfne I rely on "report abuse" to get indications of when someone is screwing up the system.  Are you reporting brodycrew's levels?  What's he doing, spamming insta-win levels, essentially?
  • @Gyro can you describe the ceiling spikes situation a little better?  You will bounce off ceiling spikes with the helmet, but what do you mean about jumping without hitting the ground?
  • edited May 2018
    I’ve done one or two yes but MANY others have as well. You haven’t received any reports? In that case , I think the report/abuse system might not be working then. Play some of his/her levels, you’ll see what I mean. (Actually the last 3 or so levels are half-effort so see from the last 10 or so levels)
  • edited May 2018
    The abuse system needs 5 reports to bring a level to my attention.  This is because in Hoggy 2, perhaps just the fan-base, I was quickly dealing with levels being reported because the players didn't like them, or they were too hard, etc.

And honestly, if a level doesn't annoy five different people, it's probably not that bad! :D  Especially since RwK has a lot higher player/won numbers than a typical Hoggy level.
  • edited May 2018
    Okay but would you just go and play the levels? Take my three comments on this as justification lol

tbh, I can’t be bothered to report his/her levels. It would take me more time and effort to do that, than it would brodycrew to just diss out another one. Honestly, I’m not exaggerating. Just. Play. To see for yourself. I’ll start reporting so you can expect a surge.
  • Can 4 other people on here reading this vouch for the fact that brodycrews08 needs a slap on the wrist?
  • @Raptisoft this is what Gyro means about the spikes

• You can jump continuously while touching the spikes. So if jump rapidly and hold right, you can move along the bottom of a row of ceiling spikes. It's made easier with double jump.
  • Well, tell you what, I know fomb is probably salivating over the ceiling spike glitch, so I won't fix it.  But levels that exhibit it without the glitch tag will be destroyed when found.
  • @fnanfne Okay, yeah, they're not exactly in the spirit of RwK, but if I had to guess I would guess he is a kid experimenting.  Now I've seen this same thing happen in Hoggy a few times-- they start out uploading horrible stuff, but eventually settle down and start making real levels.  So let's see what happens because I don't really want to set up a "quality control" pipeline in RwK.

Five reports removes it from Makermall until I review it and either restore it or delete it... but I don't feel right telling people "this is the right way to play."  And to show you I really mean it, I will no longer fix glitches either-- unless someone puts one out without the glitch tag.

Any glitch without a glitch tax WILL BE REPAIRED.
  • edited May 2018
    Yes okay I agree on the reporting. Especially because you fixed the search function otherwise good levels would've just drowned out. I’m just wondering how in the world that account is on level 15? I’m super curious. Do you get karma just by uploading levels regardless of said levels getting any likes?

Regarding the glitches, I wish you had this frame of mind before removing all the ones we grew to appreciate and love but this is a great start so thanks!
  • edited May 2018
    @raptisoft, Ha, you're right! That was one of the one's I wasn't going to say anything about.
    I was just about to reply saying "ixnay on the itchglay everyone" but the cat's out of the bag.
    It is a totally cool glitch and I love the spikes in general. All the new stuff is great!

About the level abuse issue, I know it would be a chore but if each player had a personal "block list" in which a particular level maker just didn't show up in their list of levels that would solve the issue of dealing with people that spam levels. We just wouldn't see them, soon most people wouldn't and they'd be effectively gone even if they continued to make 50 levels a day. I kinda think the level maker mentioned might not be so much a small kid, maybe middle school or so but is spamming levels for karma. Either way, those makers that are in the gray area could be removed on each users end and not have to face some punishment when we might not be sure if they're doing it on purpose or not. I know implementing a new filtering system would be a good amount of work though. Just a thought.

I also agree with @Fnanfne (again). Maybe would could get the old barrier back with a new name (pulse barrier, glitch barrier, something...) that would require the glitch tag and maybe a high level to access? It could be blue or some other color to differentiate the two (three).
    We would all be so happy :)
  • edited May 2018
    Each time you upload a level you get one karma... so yeah, he was probably "Karma farming."

A block list is a good idea, and I'll maybe see about adding it-- but I won't do so until I write the next game that features Makermall.  That game will either be Hamsterball 2 or Hap Hazard Metroidvania.   If it's Hamsterball 2, I'll fold it back into RwK, but if I do Hap first, that game will basically be the replacement for RwK.  I strongly want to get a notify system in as well (to notify you if a favorite uploaded a level) but right now, I've been working on non-game code for about 8 months, since Hoggy 2 came out.  I want to get back to working on game code, not ports, and server code, and adapting to all the crazy OS configurations.

I can't restore the old glitches because I rewrote whole sections of the collision system to fix them.  If I rolled back when the glitches still existed, it would roll back the new blocks as well.  As for coding them specifically-- they weren't even caused by real code bugs, it was all floating point inaccuracies-- so I don't even know how I would code for that, and I'm not even sure what the "behavior" was in the first place (it did all kinds of things like allowing passage through the walls, allowing sticking to the walls-- insane stuff).

Also, everyone should know that computer programmers are far enough on the autism spectrum that the idea of "coding in bugs" or "not fixing bugs" is a repulsive thought and makes the whole world seem like it's flying apart.

• I relate on the autism thing, I call it OCD :) But if said bug(s) end up working great in ways not intended or expected, then that should change the recipe no? Almost like serendipitous discoveries of medicine. If you go with the pun, penicillin was an entirely unintentional discovery. Thanks to that “bug” we can now fight real bugs with penicillin :)

What about the lava walk? Any chance of salvaging that or is it the same as the barrier fix? I just had another look at one of Dahlo’s old levels where he/she utilised this lava-walk glitch to great perfection!

Thank you for taking the time out of your busy schedule to explain your thoughts to us.
  • @raptisoft, yeah I can see that all of that could take some serious time.

About the lava walk, what about a new "lava" brick (mostly copying the lava brick as a new object) and adding the lava walking ability to that brick only? Maybe green or something and call is Electro-goo. Just like lava but with the lava walking ability. We could still tag it a "glitchy" but then we'd have the lava bricks as you like them and the lava walking ability...or electro-goo walking ability.

• I do wish I'd thought of the "glitch" tag prior to fixing them (I didn't want to do the work fixing them, believe me-- but nor did I want the twice weekly e-mails telling me that my game sucked and was unwinnable), but I really don't intend to do the work to put them back in.  I don't remember specifically if lava-walk is easily turned back on or not, I'll take a look.

I am serious, though, about not fixing anything that isn't quarantined away from the newbies.  Because ultimately, it's knowing about the glitch that triggers me to fix it, and if new players aren't contacting me about glitched levels, I won't even be aware of them.
  • edited May 2018
    Also, bug-wise, any idea of what's going on in Rasta's level with the random instant deaths? 
    I, of course, think it's kinda cool, especially if it could be controlled (like a selectable area of "radiation" that randomly kills the robot.)

As for his level I have an odd (and probably wrong) hypothesis. It seems to happen in the same area of the game and seems to follow certain behaviors. I believe this is an older level of his (am I right?) that he updated with a few new blocks? Either way, I'm kinda wondering if there is a chomper bot (or whatever they're actually called) in that area that isn't being displayed. In terms of the circular path of the chomper bot it does somewhat mimic when and how the robot dies. I dunno, any validity to that idea at all?
  • Unless of course, players contact you regardless of the glitch tag. Then proper procedure was followed but you still ended up knowing about it. The conundrum continues lol
  • I would suggest that if someone complains about a level tagged "glitchy" as having glitches, they should probably be ignored, just like if someone complains that they like neither robots nor kitties. ;)
  • True, but the cat would be out of the bag at that point, as you say. Raptisoft will know about it, and might feel the urge to act on it. 

Almost like if I were to tell you don't think about a pink kitty, you would have thought about one regardless so the mere act of asking that question involves internalising it even if you didn't want to on account of been given direct instruction not to. lol, I'm such a pessimist...
  • I think the solution to this is to add the option to have a pink kitty.
  • @raptisoft, that is a great idea! Ha :)
  • @Fomb Dunno what Rasta level is that but I wonder if it happens the same thing as in your “Flush” level. When I get the Velcro App and jump to the teleport, trying to adjust the jump usually kills me. I have to idea what triggers this behavior, but at that moment pressing either right + jump or left + jump is an autokill. Try to play it and see if the same thing happens to you. I haven’t been able to beat it because of that xD
  • I remember clocking this level before with no problem but now it’s true! Same behaviour as Rasta’s level perhaps even worse, yikes. Hopefully get fixed soon
  • Yikes, that sound like some kinda bad bug.

• dmd
    edited May 2018
    @raptisoft

I discovered a nasty issue that may render levels unbeatable.
    I got a report about getting stuck in my last level by the player jamesh.
    After investigating, it appears that:
    • If there are two boss blocks, one near the top of the level, one near the boss
    • And the robot and the boss die at the same time
    • Then the wrong boss blocks are picked for removal. 

See my glitchy level "Boss Glitch Test" for a demo.

What makes the issue even worse is that it doesn't occur in edit mode.
  • Will look into it...
  • Yeah, I'm wondering if it's new to the most recent update.
    I hadn't noticed it until very recently but have been stung by it a few times in various levels.
  • @raptisoft @dmd

Yeah I really want to finish DMD’s ‘Tale of the Lost Coins’ level but the boss bug has ruined it three times now! :(

While we’re on the subject, there’s another odd little bug I found. If you have a robo heart and you die on spikes, and either:
    (a) you haven’t triggered a checkpoint yet (so you just respawn at the start of the level); or
    (b) the last checkpoint you triggered was in the air (so you don’t physically touch it when you respawn),
    then your heart doesn’t refill when you respawn.

Not game-breaking, but presumably unintended! Doesn’t seem to happen on lava blocks.
  • Jamesh I thought that was intended, I kinda like that.

I have noticed another recurring bug, again with DMD’s, it’s the one again when a boss door fails to open when a boss and the robot dies together or very close to each other. This was a bug that got fixed but it seems to be back. I have now played DMD’s four times getting stuck each time; two where you got stuck jamesh and two where the red boss is above the brick well. DMD, do you need to have a heart by the time you need to kill that red boss by the brick well to the left of the map?