Bugs/Issues/Suggestions

Comments

• Hi there cmbaum, thanks for the support... I think Robot Wants Kitty suffers from "Theme Disease."  The name tends to turn off hardcore players, while not being cute enough for casual players.  I do intend at some point to do a very similar game with what I think will be theme better designed to catch gamers.  The big question is whether it should be another sci-fi Metroidvania, a Fantasy World one, or a normal-guy-becomes-superhero theme.

I have given some thought to making one called, tongue-in-cheek, "Solomon's Keep Jr" with it being a 2D version of Solomon's Keep where you play as a 2D wizard collecting useful spells instead of powerups.  It could be pretty amusing, but I'm not sure about doing that vs. developing a new IP.
  • edited May 2018
    Although SK is rather popular, I'm not into it at all :/ I hope that potential endeavour won't replace HH2! In terms of time/resources.
  • Well, it's almost surely going to be Hap Hazard-- since I feel like Metroidvanias works VERY well for sci-fi themes.  But it's a fine balancing act-- if I did it Solomon, it would get a lot more users, which would mean more activity in the level sharing.  As a game itself, it wouldn't be very much different than RwK, except you'd be moving in a dungeon looking for powerups that are just re-labelled "spells."
  • edited May 2018
    Diablo (NOT 3!!) has always been a favourite of mine so any 'dungeon crawler' will get me well interested. Just not a big fan of dying and starting over from square one (the central idea of SK)
  • Oh no... I mean, it would literally be a Metroidvania with checkpoints, etc, just like RwK... just taking place in Solomon's Keep, and replacing powerups with spellbooks, and no "levelups" or xp points.

I'm with you on Diablo 3.  Between Skyrim's dumbing down and Diablo 3 losing basically all character investment, the future is looking very bleak for AAA rpgs.
  • Wow, that almost send shivers down my spine, that will be awesome.

Oh btw, welcome to the forum cmbaum!
  • Noticing with the update that the green barriers now prevent the robot from falling through it. Was this intentional? My first Autobot level is basically unplayable now, though I could just update the level, no biggie.
  • edited May 2018
    ISSUE #1 - appears to be fixed, thank you!

SUGGESTION #4 - is also now a reality, great work! (Although the related SUGGESTION #1 sadly not :()

(Though I would suggest having the ability to remove levels from here. Perhaps when you dislike the level? There are so many (like quite a few) pointless and silly levels that I immediately quit upon realising which will happily never be finished so this list will become quite large and very soon, kind of useless)

SUGGESTION #5 - Oh well, adios, at least we have some videos for posterity of this good old bug!!

BUG #1 - OMW, is this bug a thing of the past? I'm trying to replicate it without success so perhaps, THANK you!
  • No, the one way and slow walls are currently preventing falling and an update for that will be submitted tonight.
  • Ah wow, on the ball hey! Kudos.
  • edited May 2018
    Also, recent levels is simply the last 25 levels you've played, it's not a "favorites" list or anything (there won't be a favorites list in RwK unless I add the server functionality for another game and fold it into RwK).  But you can make levels float back to the top of the list so they don't fall off just by playing them again even for a second.
  • Oh okay that would sort it then, you can just forcibly drown out unwanted levels which will eventually go to the bottom regardless. Cool.
  • Oh, and regarding offline play...  that might be something I could throw in for premium players (i.e. the people who have removed ads).  But it's a medium to large project (it requires basically a whole management system for downloaded levels) and it's really time to put RwK to bed and save features for a sequel (unless, as was said above, it suddenly starts making money).
  • Admittedly, I have been slacking and being lax in viewing ads. I'll try to be more disciplined. You must've raked in quite a bit in the first month no? I must've watched a gazillion ads AND I downloaded literally all the apps/games advertised in the ads too. 
  • Start a go fund me for the amount of money you’d want in order to keep rwk updates happening and see if it takes off.
  • @fnafne, They're worth about a dollar if someone actually downloads the app.  So I have you to thank for that month, huh?  Just watching one ad a day suffices, though.  Anyway, I believe I have a solution for the issue of glitchy levels, see new thread.
  • edited May 2018
    Yes, I think if everyone does just once a day before playing, it will make a difference but it needs to be regular and consistent!

Just another note on SUGGESTION #4...

It would be nice if beaten levels would disappear from this list. Currently, if you finish the level, it pops to the top of the list. It should just disappear from here right?
  • Well, the utility of the recent game list... for a sequel I'll look into it more.  It'll depend on how people use the list-- like how likely is someone to play a level they enjoyed a few times, and there it is?  Vs. ONLY using it as a "I haven't won this level yet" list.
  • Okay that makes sense. How does this list work? I’ve had around 13 levels in there but when I checked just now there was none. Do they expire or what?
  • Bug #3: you can jump on the tops of the new spikes before robot dies, works on both spikes
    It's like the robot has to be halfway in them to die but can jump before then.
  • @raptisoft
    Oh man, that glitch Gyro found is a big one (nice find @Gryro).
    You can, with only single jump, just keep jumping over any length of spikes. It is kinda cool and requires a little timing, but it more or less invalidates the spikes. I hadn't noticed that one.

Also, another plug for the "official beta" idea. If that was in place we'd all find these things like the spikes problem and the already fixed new barrier problem before there was an official release AND we'd be quarantined away where we'd be free to make our most glitchy of levels (with the old barriers and lava walking, etc. back). I think it would be mutually beneficial.
  • edited May 2018
    No the spike thing was intended.  Robot is METAL remember-- this is why spikes are not the same as the goop (Remember-- I hate hate hate putting redundant objects into games).  So with spikes you have to be pierced.  Robots aren't flesh:

Spikes: Certain death for Robots!  Get off them quickly before they can pierce your metal shell!

I am trying to set up my system for "official beta" status, but server-side it's a bit of work and I intend to move forward onto new releases as soon as possible, especially since most of my new releases will make older games obsolete.
  • edited May 2018
    >Okay that makes sense. How does this list work? I’ve had around 13
    levels in there but when I checked just now there was none. Do they
    expire or what?

@Fnanfne, did you lose other data or have a crash?  The list should always have the most recent 25 levels played... it sounds like it lost your data somehow, and we've had some problems with that before on your phone, haven't we?
  • edited May 2018
    @Raptisoft

Nope, I keep on replicating this. Seems like whenever I open the app after a while, this list is completely empty. Do you think the problem we had before was my phone?
  • Also, what is the messages area for? Are we supposed to get notifications when we get replies to our levels or what?
  • edited May 2018
    No, messages are specifically for system use.  If a level has been removed or a user has to be warned (which happens more on Hoggy than RwK) the user gets a message.

As for losing the files, I'm not completely sure.  Or rather-- the game contains no code that could wipe out the entire file list.  It even gets written into the file system every time it changes.  It's clearly something fairly specific, but I don't even know what questions to ask now in order to determine what it is.
  • @raptisoft, that's great. The spikes are super cool and add a lot to the gameplay.
  • edited May 2018
    @Raptisoft I'm sure that brodycrews08 has been receiving quite a few messages there from you and are almost set to be banned right? What are being done to police the Maker Mall? Since the update, I can see that this particular character is on LEVEL 15!! How is this possible? This account doesn't get any likes (for obvious reasons) Why/how are his/her levels still spamming the MM? This account basically just makes copies (just of of the name) of other well designed and popular levels but the levels are completely useless/pointless. You must be getting overwhelmed by others reporting him surely! Just go play a few of the levels, you'll see what I mean
  • Bug #4: when you on top of a lava block then die again from the side or bottom of a different lava block, it will show the robot dying on the first lava block and if the second block is higher then in the dying animation the robot will be falling into the first from the height of the second.

Seems like the sides and bottom are now using the sinking animation instead of the robot exploding.

Also, that glitch where you place a one-way/green block next to the lava making you able to stand on the edge between the two doesn't seem to work anymore.
  • Is it also intended for the ceiling spikes to let you jump without touching the ground, after hitting them with the helmet?