Complete Mage Rework theorycraft

I looked over the mage rework and felt the need to fix some issues and put them all together. In addition to putting all together, I have gotten new idea for skill system called perks. It is basically more impactful skills that you can pick at certain point of level similar to talent system in Heroes of the Storm. Because of the addition of this system, things that I put such as mana skill for each elemental school got scrapped or altered drastically. So DON'T THINK THAT THIS IS JUST COMBINED VERSION OF MY PREVIOUS REWORK STUFF. There are LOTS of new stuff in here. 

If you have comment, suggestions, or other idea, please feel free to do so. Also I have some questions for you guys:

1. How would you build your wizard based on this rework?
2. What seems to be the most OP setup?
3. Which perks and skills do you think are at garbo tier? (except blaze of glory)

Enjoy. 

Comments

• Well, first of all, you have made some typos.
  • edited June 2021
    Secondly, I totally dislike Channel Mana rework.
  • And thirdly, I think that Smart Missiles is too essential to lock it behind 17 level.
  • Also, I didn’t find a single level 15 perk which I would like to add to my build. And honestly, the removal of Mind discipline hurts my feelings even more than the Channel Mana rework.
  • It would be nice to be more specific on first two response. First of all what are the typos that needs to be fixed? Second in which part of channel mana rework did you not like(tbh its more like channel mana got deleted)?
  • Let me explain on the removal of mind discipline and smart missile being on perks.

The point of perks was to separate  these high impact one skill point only skills from skill tree so that you can put more points on your more skill point requiring skills while getting those important one skill point skills without wasting precious skill points. Well, it turned out mind discipline had lots of those "important one skill point skills" sooooo thats why mind discipline kind of fell off. Good news is most of the remnants are still here(with some heavy changes) 
  • I think you are right on the fact that smart missile coming out a bit too late. I am moving the level 17 perks to level 10 and vice versa. The level 15 perks are actually quite powerful than you may think. In fact I kind of fear that some might be a bit too strong. However, I feel that level 15 perks does not look cool or interesting. I think I might change it if I can find better alternatives. (if you have any, please feel free to share)
  • About typos, I am too lazy to look the file again and point them out.
  • About Mind Discipline, I understand what are you talking about, but you could at least think about some new skills for it.
  • And about Channel Mana, you turned it into a perk which just doubles your mana regeneration.
  • I feel like your whole rework lacks a way of consistent increasing of the base mana regeneration rate. In original games, Channel Mana served this purpose.
  • And about level 15 perks, I think there is needed at least one perk without backlashes. Also, I personally would like to see more perks which boost damage/mana usage without hindering mana usage/damage.
  • Because for me damage per mana is much more important than damage per second.
  • edited June 2021
    First of all double your mana generation is equal to getting a level 4 channel mana (based on dark). Considering how channel mana can level up to level 5 and new channel mana has synergies with other mana regen boosts such as magic circle or other perks, it is a huge upgrade solely on its power level. Also, the condition for quadruple mana regen is pretty cheap and works well with secondary spell users and projectile spell users.

Second, i really couldn't add any more mind skills because mind skill is all about mana stuff and cooldown(except siege mage) and I intend to put those in perks rather than in skill tree.

Third, if you want consistent mana regen booster, font of mana and life tap is what you want to choose. Font of mana may seems like inconsistent but mana orbs are quite common in Keep and it gives mana regen boost for 10 seconds which would be enough time to get another orb under normal circumstances. 75% regen is basically level 3 channel mana so you saved three skill points to get a level 3 channel mana at level 3. I have to admit that battle mage and blood mana is a bit too underwhelming. I will be buffing those two shortly.

Removing completely consistent mana regen option is one of the goal because there must never be a singular "must pick for all build" option in each perk pool in order for the perk system to be good. That is why all the mana options in level 3 have some sort of condition. Also, it is important to note that despite of battle mage being gone, you still have elemental masteries which act same as battle mage in a way. Battle mage has always been a superior mana option compared to channel mana so channel mana not being in lower level isn't going to be much issue from what I think.

For the level 15 perks, your damage per mana isn't necessarily lower because lots of spells deals more damage than in previous games. Also, once you get some Max level bonuses on some skills, your damage will increase drastically which will negate the issue losing some damage from level 15 perk. I don't intend to put any perks on level 15 that has no side effects to promote people to think more about their choice but I think the side effects on current level 15 perks are uninspiring. 
  • Change #1
    1. Blood mana also gives 75% mana regen when your health is lower than 25%.
    2. Battle Mage also gives 15% attack speed when your mana is at 50% or lower.
    3. All level 15 perks have been reworked 
  • edited June 2021
    Well, sorry but Mana Discipline is something I see as absolutely necessary part of game, so I won’t even try agreeing with any rework which removes it.
  • But the level 15 perks rework seems good. I am even not sure which to choose, Focused or Delicate.
  • Also, I don’t like very much both relying on consumables/enemy drops and using dark/blood themed magic/skills/abilities/perks/feats/whatever.
  • edited June 2021
    Also, I think it would be fair to give Harden the following max level bonus: After stopping firing Frost Jet, the armor stops growing but stays, instead of fading immediately.
  • edited June 2021
    if you look closely, the only real change with mana is that nearly all of the mana skill that you had to spend your precious skill points on does not require skill points anymore, thus allowing you to put more points on other skills. The only mana skill that you can put skill points on are the elemental mastery skills which act as battle mage. Most of the level 3 perks are as efficient as level 3 channel mana which allows you get mana skills very early without the need of good rng and skill points. of course there are some lackluster ones like life tap and I think I might buff them a bit to be as efficient as other options. Also, you do get additional mana options from level 15 perks as well which basically allows you to get value worth of max level channel mana or more with no need to be lucky to get 5 channel mana and have spare skill points to put it. Also, you do get free mana up every boss you kill which is good too.

So it is wrong to think that it is a rework that removes mana skills but rather it is a rework that relocated them to be more consistent and accessible while having more depth to it rather than being just simply good.

• For blood mana, if you looked at the changes i've made, you can see that as long as you lower your health to 25% or lower, you get free 3 level channel mana. Considering that mage do have varieties to defensive abilities to survive while at low health, it is actually not that bad.

For battle mage, considering that battle mage was valued over channel mana in original keep and boneyard. gaining 25% mana reduction, which is worth like 2.5 level battle mage, is really strong for level 3 perk. lower than 50% mana is can actually be more useful when you are using perks like mana barrier when you need high mana cost secondary skills.

For life tap, I think this is very mediocre and will be buffed or reworked later.

Meditation is actually buffed significantly. It does not require you to standstill to get its effect and only requires you to not attack for 1.5 seconds instead of 3 seconds. Also, 50% damage boost is as effective as using prismatic shock. 

I like your idea on harden's max level bonus. Though I think it should last for few seconds rather than stay indefinitely after not firing.
  • edited June 2021
    Change#2

1. Life Tap got reworked to Mana Tap.
    2. Siege Mage now gives cooldown reduction instead of mana cost increase to secondaries
    3. harden max level bonus added(armor persists for 3 seconds after firing)
    4. removed potion mania's penalty
    5. Refraction Orb buffed to 50% instead of 25% 
    6. Added new level 3 perk: Astral Touch
    7. font of mana also doubles orb drop rate
  • Oh, I wrote “Mana Discipline”? Sorry, it was a typo. I meant “Mind Discipline”. I think that Mind Discipline is absolutely necessary.
  • Also, about “Blood Mana”, as I already said my main problem with it is it’s “blood” thematic. But considering the fact that it is not the only viable level 3 perk, everything is OK. (Except the Mind Discipline removal, of course)