Duplicate Levels

I debated over posting this in the suggestion thread or making a new one just for this, but saw that it had been over a year since anyone had posted in the suggestion thread, so here we are...

Was wondering if there was a way to duplicate levels that you’ve personally created (not other creators’ levels), and, if not, would that be a simple update to add this ability?

Thought about breaking up Clockwork Castle into smaller chunks to make it a little more accessible (and a little less crashy), but I can’t find a straightforward way to copy the level to edit it down. The only other option would be to recreate the level from scratch, and I’m not gonna do that.

Comments

• Hey zephronscythe

This used to be possible in Kitty Connect but not anymore since the 2018 update. The only way to do this right now is as you've suggested; to recreate the level from scratch. I've recreated a few levels this way, like when I tried to make easier versions, eg, Kittyflake or Bobby Carrot. I recorded my screen to facilitate this but it was quite tedious.

Another way to skin this cat is to use a second mobile device, and then restore a backup you took of your main device onto this second one, then you can recreate the level a little easier.

Great level hey, right there in the top of the best! I've started replaying the level so I can make a map screenshot of it but it's proving even more difficult this time around because of the e-pill glitch. I've resumed the level so many times now that I just can't kill this one boss, been shooting this boss constantly for over two hours now!
  • Actually, I'm thinking there might be a way to do this... Let me do a little bit of testing.
  • Alright, I couldn't find a way to copy the actual level files without breaking the level completely... It might be something to look into, but I recommend doing all testing with 'test' levels, because there is a good chance you'll never be able to edit the level again.
  • Thanks, I thought that there had been a way to copy levels. Glad my memory wasn’t lying to me lol.

I didn’t realize that there was an e-pill glitch. Does it make enemies immortal?! I appreciate the attempt to map the level; I had planned on doing it myself but every device I play the level on crashes (not sure if it’s cuz my phone is 5 years old or my internet is mediocre), and unfortunately there’s no way to see the map in test mode.

If there’s ever a way to make duplicating the level possible, I’ll spend the time breaking the level down. I’ve got a pretty decent idea of where breaks could go. I don’t think I have the energy to remake the whole thing over again.
  • edited March 2021
    Let us know if you find a way aero, it would be cool if this is now possible via the new Google Drive and iCloud backup options. Snackers gave this idea on the discord. Are you on iOS or Android? If the former then you’d probably need to jailbreak but could give “Files” a go which is an official Apple app but you need to download it: if the latter, then it should be trivial to just copy and paste your level in the same directory but with a different name.
  • This is now possible with the external editor. https://github.com/mrmasterplan/rwklevelfiles
    Start the tool, navigate to the level, select 'e' to extract. The .kitty level is now available. You open the file using the included extension for the Tiled editor.

I know this is possible because I have tested this myself. Let me know if you are having problems.

Since this level is to huge, the tool freezes for 10 minutes in the extraction process. Have patience, it works.

You can then save the parts with new names and re-upload, also with my tool.