lore questions about places

So I have been fiddling with Solomon Dark and found out that there are lots of towns and other places that I've never seen in Boneyard or Keep. @Raptisoft Can you tell me some information about these places and towns and what did you planned for them on Solomon Dark before all of these lawsuit problems.
1. Grimwood
2. Grindee
3. Badwater
4. Dirgemouth
5. Glowerworthy
6.The incident
7. Molder Town
8. Florid
9. Wallow
10. The four towns in Boneyard(Heck Hollow, Bandywick, Dead Hawg, Pummel)

P.S. Also, where do the paladins live?

Comments

• edited October 2017
    I hadn't planned much of them for Dark, except as graveyard locales... the as yet unwritten game Son of Solomon was intended to be an open-worldy kind of game that dropped you in the map and let you explore it.

Paladins are from all over, but the Cathedral of the Brotherhood of the Blinding Light is in Glowerworthy (it's essentially the "Rome" of this world... every other town is very small by modern standards-- the world is fairly depopulated and dark-agey).

The Incident is just a leftover from one of the mage wars, given a euphemistic name for public-relations reasons.  There's some very strange fish in there.  The entire world itself might be an artifact-- nobody really knows too much for sure (imagine Earth, if our historical records went less than a thousand years back), because the world has a self-limiting phenomenon: Any time things get civilized to the point that mage users can begin sharing notes and improving their spells and have the free time to contemplate more than just where the next meal is coming from, you end up with "creative" types like Solomon Dark.

The world also constantly is getting smaller (for men), because most mages do not consider an insult to be effective if the area can ever be inhabited again.

But all that said, don't take the world too seriously.  Every single thing in it is designed to contain a cynical joke of some kind!
  • edited October 2017
    @raptisoft

I have to admit the Incident really fascinates me the most.

The Incident reminds me of one of the game idea I had. It was a rougelike game that a player ventures into the magically contaminated ruin of an ancient civilization(most likely a parallel universe version of America that has been destroyed by some Necrohex Bombard) to get artifacts and valuables to pay a debt. The game encourages player to gather valuables as much as possible at any moral or physical cost, eventually leading players into mindless and purposeless grinding of treasures. As player ventures further into the center of the ruin, the game begins to ask question of why the players came into this ruin and what have they become. 
    The Incident also show how the mages slowly losing their own purpose, survival, to the magic. Because the mages have lost their previous purpose, they slowly lead themselves into their own doom like the players in my game idea were suppose to become. 

P.S.
    Ever since I got inspired by Solomon's Keep to make video games in high school, I've always had lots of ideas and dreamed to make some of them real. Sadly, I suck at programming and drawing and I don't have any friends who are interested in making games with me. I don't know if this idea will interest you but at least it is worth to show it than let it rot in my head. Hope this is helpful. 
  • @Peppermaster That sounds like an awesome game, very meta. And as for programming, haven't you been playing around with the dark cloud? Cause when I was looking through it a lot of basic programming concepts seemed to be well embodied in the editor, much like any other good game editor...

And i find it funny because I'm working towards getting decent with programming and I'm really enjoying it, but never have any good ideas about storylines or the graphics. :D
  • edited October 2017
    Hey Peppermaster... that's a really good idea, except for one thing: it'd made a FANTASTIC book.  But I love the idea of a sort of cursed treasure hunting place that just continuously draws you in until hunting for treasure becomes your singular purpose.  Do you have any writing talent?

(It's my belief that games should make the player happy, not hopeless... but as a story idea, that's a spectacular one-- perhaps it could be a game if the player's purpose was the break everyone free)
  • But sadly, it's impossible to learn too much about The Incident, you can only theorize what used to be there, and why it happened, etc, by researching any records that HAVE survived.  But the size of the incident, and the fact that you can actually get up close to it and to look it over indicates that it was a relatively minor dispute.
  • @Vyasi
    I do know the basic concepts of programming considering that I have made games in high school using RPG Maker(results... weren't good.). Also, my grades on programming class in college was also not satisfying too. I am more of liberal art guy(ironically, I never took any liberal arts related majors)
  • @Raptisoft
    You are not completely getting the point of that idea. 
    This game's goal is not to make them hopeless at all. The game always give players a choice to leave the place when they have enough money. Even though your main objective is to leave the area when you have enough money, game elements like global high score, more interesting contents at the center of the area will make player forget the main objective and take unnecessary risk. Having player to choose whether to leave or not is very important because it makes players feel that THEY have forgotten their goal, not some guy have forgotten his or her goal. Once the players finally learn the lesson, they can choose whether to let go all the undiscovered treasures and leave the area or of staying in the area till death. 

I am not sure whether I have the right to say I have a "talent" for writing(considering the definition of "talent" can be very subjective). I can say that I am more comfortable and more passionate in writing than doing other works and my English teachers generally loved my writing. 

• edited October 2017
    Ah, well, from game developer perspective... you don't want your players to make the choice to "stop playing." :)

But I think the idea is very good, very dark, and very deep.  I think it could be a VERY good fantasy story, even a novel if you maybe making your main character be a sort of quick-witted young mage who is trying to figure out how he could get in and get back out without succumbing.
  • @Peppermaster 
    I apologize if that came across as rude, I only meant to say editors always come across to me as sort of guided and simplified programming––they're actually why I got into programming originally––and they're good at introducing basic ideas and ways to think about a problems. And I didn't realize you had actually made some games, most people I come across who dislike or say they suck at programming tend to have had a bad experience or just jumped in too deep and it's doesn't seem that they're bad, they just think they're bad. 

So I guess that's a long-winded way to say I always try to encourage people to try something and not judge themselves especially if they just started something, and to say I liked your idea and wanted to encourage you. Plus I've never been able to write a good storyboard or whatnot, I've always just been good with logic flow and puzzles. It just goes to show you need a team of people to put together a great game...unless you're Raptisoft ;)
  • @Raptisoft

It is more like "know when to end your run" rather than "don't play this game for your sake". Think more of Slot Machine. You start by winning some money, the machine gives you a jackpot once, you think you won't lose, the machine takes your money for being greedy (Your scores counts as zero if you die). If you need more clear example of this theme, I recommend looking at Dead Money(Fallout: New Vegas DLC). 

Writing novel? Maybe... though I prefer this idea to be a game. Novels are linear and it won't bring the full potential of this idea like the game can. After all, I believe games have huge potential of becoming the apex of all literary works.

P.S. btw the name of that planned game was Maw of the Void.

• @Vyasi
    I am not sure which part of your previous comment was rude but okay. No need to apologize. I am just glad that people like this idea. 

I understand your point about the editor. I also started off with editors too. The editor I used first was Starcraft I editor during middle school. However, I hated programming part and instead loved fiddling with general game rules and writing storyboard. Well, I wish I find a team... or join Raptisoft. :]
  • @Peppermaster, have you ever played the "Dungeonmans?" (on Steam)  It has a pretty innovative concept where you can quit your run any time and become a "teacher" at the Hero Academy-- which then can impart your skills onto any new characters.

It forces a hard choice where you have to decide whether you want to keep playing to complete the uber-quest, or make your next run more powerful.
  • @Raptisoft

It is more like Dungeon Crawl than Dungeonmans. If you quit before you find enough money to pay off debt(or not find the Orb of Zott for Dungeon Crawl), you get a bad ending and get low score. If you complete just your main goal and finish the game, you get good ending and decent score. If you find additional items that gives bonus points(more money for my game idea and runes for Dungeon Crawl), you get good ending and high score. Your previous run never affect your next run... ...unless the ghost of your previous character rips you apart.