Ok for my twins?

My six year old boys love Hoggy 2. They want to share levels they’ve created. My wife & I are concerned about the commenting they might encounter. Thoughts?

Comments

• Most, if not all, cuss words gets obfuscated. This system is almost too aggressive in this regard and will even censor words like “assimilate” lol. Apart from naughty words being addressed I don’t think there are any other protection measures in place with regards to say, criticism. Kids might not view honest critique as contructive, some might even class that as a form of harassment or even “online bullying” but the community is, by a large extent civil, friendly and courteous. Of course, there will be some outliers as with most things in life.

I’d peruse the Hoggy Maker Mall and look at some comments/feedback left/given by other players to see what the weather is like.
  • That's weird. "Assimilate" should be in the game's profanity filter exemption list. Unless it's not working correctly.
  • Sorry that was just an example. The actual word I used most recently (a Dutch/Afrikaans one) was ‘asseblief’ which means ‘please’. However, I’ve come across some English words as well. My point was that it’s fine to assume all “bad” words would be captured if some “safe” ones get caught as well.

Another thought, if you’re still very concerned, is to just audit the comments before letting your sons see it? If they’re not decorum, you could remove the level, perhaps commenting you did so due to crass comments? If you remove the level all the comments and stars go with it. Just a final thought.
  • Very good comments @fnanfne,
    Maybe in the future having the ability to disable comments on levels would be useful in this particular case, but, as you said, it seems the overwhelming majority of commenteers on Raptisoft games are civil. I think other than rare cases, the worse comments I see are things like "dumb" or "stupid", which is not cool and I could imagine to be hurtful to a young level maker that's just trying their best.  So how to address or deal with things like that could be an issue.
  • hmm kinda like a kid mode just shows kids what they really need to see, like basic info.
  • Yup! don't worry, it's safe :D