Update/Status/News

Okay, last week was a big busy week for me, but here's the results:

Chuzzle 2 is now mine to do with as I see fit.  SO, my next project is to finish Chuzzle 2 and release it!  No dates, of course, but it's nearly a done product.  Also, there will be stability updates for SB, SK, and Hoggy2 ASAP, just with all the little fixes and tweaks I've put into them in the last couple months.  I'm trying to do that before I go into Total Chuzzle Mode.

Comments

• Phew. Disaster averted. No executive meddling by EA.

Will you be seeking beta testers for Chuzzle 2? If so, for which platforms?
  • Good to hear Chuzzle 2 is finally yours. So... Sb sk hoggy stuff -> chuzzle 2 -> SKUME is your plan, right? Also, if there is any thing about SKUME that you might need some idea, please feel free to toss it before you go hermit mode. Whether you read our idea now or later, we just want something to have fun making new idea or having discussion with it for a moment.
  • Sounds like good and steady progress :)
  • Yes, Chuzzle->SKUME->(Likely Hamsterball 2) is my general idea.

In hermit mode, I read, I just don't write, typically.  But in general, all the "design" is ready to go, it's just about tying it all together.  I also might write a very (very) small multiplayer game in between there (something like snake.io) just to be a test case for my multiplayer SKUME stuff.
  • SomeRandom: Yes, I'll seek testers.  Probably both iOS and Android, with Android being first (because it's so much easier to send out tests).  I'll provide more info as I get closer. 

Chuzzle 2 is a mostly done game, but I didn't do any graphics for the new part because I would have expected Popcap to do the graphics.  So basically-- that's what I have to do, graphics for the Chuzzle metagame.

HOWEVER, I might do some early tests before that's all done, just to get balance feedback, etc.
  • Oh, so the game will be mobile-only?
  • Well, it technically handles any resolution, so it wouldn't be much of an issue to tweak it for PC.  But I'm not sure any PC market exists any more for a game like Chuzzle.
  • edited June 2018
    Chuzzle still gets new reviews on Steam every once in a while. Granted, some of these reviews are just complaints about the game not working (which is common with Steam versions of PopCap games, seeing how EA stopped supporting them long ago), but that's still a sign that there remains at least some interest in the game even on PC.

While it's true that the demand for casual games on PC massively dropped over the last decade, seeing how most casual gamers have switched to mobile gaming, PopCap is one of the few casual game developers who were popular enough to have some fans even among more hardcore gamers. A lot of people were disappointed in the lack of a PC version for Plants vs. Zombies 2, for instance.

If it's not much work to bring the game to PCs, I don't see why not. Probably won't make a ton of money, but I don't think it'd get completely overlooked either.