Upcoming RwK (and Hoggy 2 also) features

2»

Comments

• Well, here's how the randomness works now:

RED GUYS always walk to the left, every time
    BLUE GUYS always begin moving upwards
    DRIPS delay based on their position (i.e. a drip in a specific position will ALWAYS have the same pattern).  Previously drips just had a different random number every time you play (that's why I'm shocked that your video above even works-- seems impossible) .  HOWEVER!  When you expand the level upwards or leftward, those positions change, so if you're making a level that is largely dependent on timing, place a block somewhere and never place anything above or to the left of that block.
    BOSSES move in a direction based on their position.  It will be consistent every time you play.
    PINKFLIES will start going left or right depending on their position.

Yes, this is the last change I will make to randomness.  I was actually responding to a request from someone else who was trying to make auto levels with drips in them, and they said they couldn't because of the randomness.  So I made it random, but consistent.

• edited May 2018
    But generally, this is the last change I will make to RwK aside from bug fixes.  Anything new and exciting will go into the sequel, which will have a more flexible editor like Hoggy.  See in an ideal situation, you'd double click on a monster to set its random traits.  That's just not possible with RwK without rewriting the whole editor and level format.
  • I’m not a great level maker but I do regard myself as a great effort maker! You don’t want to know the tribulations and heartache I’ve been through creating that auto (and this unfinished one) in terms of precision, timing and some blind luck!
  • @fnanfne, I hope that level can be fixed or something, It was amazing. Man, sorry.

Another thing I noticed that could affect autolevels is that the time it takes to teleport is lesser.
    I don't know what the impetus is for that, but timing may be altered.
  • edited May 2018
    @fnanfne... I do apologize.  I didn't mean to destroy your level in trying to make things more consistent for auto levels.  And that is a remarkable level (still amazed that you got a "good" runthrough).  But I bet you can fix it... since now an auto level will always be what you see is what you get.

But yes, I will not touch random any more.  My only regret on the randomness is I have no way to give the designer complete control over the random seed with a dial or textbox or something.

@fomb I reduced teleport slightly (less than .05 seconds) to make it less "pixel perfect" to use a teleporter while drifting through solar wind. 
  • edited May 2018
    No worries @raptisoft I got the update that fixed the barrier glitch and am just very glad my "Autobot - Journey to hell and back" auto level is now working again! 

Quick question, if I update the Volrath level, will all the stats like likes and stars be reset?

WOW fomb, I'm amazed you noticed this slight reduction; zero point zero five seconds! :D
  • Stats+Stars stay if you update.  They are only gone if you delete or un-share. 
  • Great news thanks.
  • Ha, it just seemed a little faster.
    @raptisoft, that's great though. I miss the 0G teleporting.

Also, I think the greatest thing that I've noticed so far from this update, and surprisingly haven't seen anyone mentions, is the haxxor app glitch is fixed!  That is fantastic! That will make so many things better. No more stuck levels. Great news!

I do have a question. The new spikes. It does seem like the robot falls into them a bit, but are they essentially just a different graphic for the lava/acid blocks, or is there something that functions differently about them? I know you can touch them horizontally, but insta-death on touching them. I noticed something that I wasn't sure if it was intentional or not, but when rematerializing after spiky death, the robot starts with empty heart containers. Of course, if a save point is touched they come back, but if it's the start point/non-pattern encoder the robot will only have empty hearts.
    I actually think this is cool. Adds a new option to having hearts. Just wondered if it will be permanent. I think the spikes are cool, by the way, just curious about them.

....I do think it would be could if the robot could do the much lamented loss of lava walking with heart containers over the spikes. That would add something we all miss. Also, it would be cool if the spikes graphics stacked like the bouncy pad.
  • Fomb, I did mention it under the proper thread, the Bugs/Issues/Suggestions one :)

Yeah I was thinking about this myself to get the lava walk back as we now have this “glitch” tag but no more “glitches” as they’ve all been fixed! Might as well bring all the lovely glitches back right? Otherwise this glitch tag might go unused.
  • Are you sure the teleport was only reduced by less than 0.05 seconds? Because it feels like more I think.
  • @Gyro yes, per the numbers.  But individual devices can vary a little bit, depending on the clock rate.