Friday WhatTheHeck

Okay, for fun, I'm going to try to post every Friday with an interesting or weird thing that I've run into over the course of the week.  (If you see something, post it too, this isn't my exclusive).

So here's what I ran into this week.

And it kinda blew my mind.

Comments

• well.. that first paragraph left me dumbfounded with all the technical jargon, but i got the gist of it lol.. as for the test question, im upset they didnt give an answer, and im gunna try and find that test online to see if i can take it lol..

btw is the answer a=20 b=10? my curiosity is burning up, i need to know if im a sheep or a goat!  im kinda fine with either, if im a sheep, i can program, but a goat sounds better then a sheep lol
  • Sorry Tears, answer is a=20, b=20.

First, a becomes 10, then b becomes 20. After that, a is made equal to b, making a 20 too.

But yeah, that's pretty ridiculous, I had no idea so many people just don't think that way, and possibly can't!
  • i see how that goes now, i just dont understand 2 things, first, what is the "int" at first?  and second, i was assuming it was just that both numbers were following a pattern, at first a was 20, b was 10, then they both became the same(15), and then whats the next plot of numbers, following the same pattern  a-5, b+5 came to a=10 b=20...

how do you figure a = b makes them both turn into b? i can see how that works, but what tells you to do it that way, and wouldnt it logically be better to assume they both turn into the first variable a for 10 instead of 20?

either way, if i was wrong or i was right, i followed my logic through, and that would still put me in the "sheep" side of it according to that site, and to confirm(?) that, i found a test i could take 

i scored a 21 out of 26 in the timed test and thats even with having my gf decide to spam text me at that exact 40 min span of time -.-   after reviewing my answers, 2 i got wrong because of thinking too fast (i mistakenly thought each hour of a clock was 20 degrees, not 30)  and a percentage question (the one with the blue and yellow squares) i just quickly did in my head because i didnt get the calculator and scrap paper like the test said to do so i got that wrong lol.. but the 2 alphabet questions (8 and 9) i just couldnt get and just kinda took a stab n moved on after trying for a bit and not getting it... with less distractions from texts i think i would have been able to get the first 3 i got wrong right, or even if i went back to recheck them (i didnt even tho i had a little over 4 mins left when i finished >.>)but for the alphabet ones, if i had no time limit, im positive i would have eventually gotten the answer correct, but with it i might not have gotten it in time... but still, i got a score of 21 and 19+ is above average, so im happy lol
  • An 'int' is an integer, which is a whole number. So 12 is an integer, but 12.4 is not.

I'm not sure I understand your second question, are you still talking about the question in the article Raptisoft linked to? Where did the -5 +5 come from?

As for A = B, think of it this way. A has the value 10, and B has the value 20. So if I say A = B, I'm either saying 10 = 20 (Which can't be the case), the value of A is equal to the value of B (Which it's not), 10 = B or A = 20. Since we write from left to right, when you make a new variable in math (Or anywhere else) you say variable = value. 10 is not a variable, so it's not assigning itself to B. Therefore, the only possibility left is A = 20, or A is being assigned the value that B represents (20).

This is how programming languages work with variables.
  • yes, the -5 +5 is because (atleast the way i seen it) a was 20, b was 10, then a=b, so for both of them to be equal, subtract 5 from a and add 5 from b so they both become 15, so that a=b would be true, then following the pattern the next set of numbers would be a=10 b=20 (i thought it was looking for another set of numbers, not the current value of a=b)

(just looked back and seen i made a mistake with the starting values lol.. a=10 b=20 x.x, still gunna keep going as is cuz i dont have time atm to rerwite this, but ill edit it later)

as far as what your saying of the variable = value, i get it, but what i dont get is how you say 10 isnt a variable so its not assigning itself to b, but 20 isnt a variable either so it wouldnt assign itself to a?  but how your saying it does make sense for the variable a = the value b (10 atm)  so the variable, the one that can change takes the value of 10

(gotta go ill reword later x.x)
  • I was saying it can't be 10 = B, basically because we read left to right, so we read "10 equals B" which would imply we're assigning the value of B to 10, which makes no sense.

On the other hand, if it is A = 20, that reads "A equals 20" which makes sense if we assign the value 20 to A.