Thoughts on spells of Solomon's Keep

edited October 2017 in Solomon's Games
I've been recently thinking about what Mr. Raptis said about the limited and unpredictable set of skills for each level and a question came to my mind: is this idea successfully implemented in Solomon's Keep? As I play more Solomon's Keep (mostly due to my iphone not letting me play boneyard until the patch comes), I have realized that it is implemented in a wrong way. I had no problem with early game but as you reach to late game, a player MUST to have some essential skills(battle mage, magic shield, siege mage, etc.) to make any progress. If these skills are not 100% necessary to beat the entire game, there would be absolutely no problem. However, because these skills are mandatory, the builds become very fixed and sometimes forces players to farm. Farming, in general, is not really a bad thing but if it is necessary to farm in a game, that is what makes the game un-fun

Fortunately, there are various ways to deal with this problem:

1. Do some nerfs on enemies like make mages' bubble more fragile, remove homing from lighting mage, and make range attack and poison deal less damage. By nerfing some enemies, the essential skills importance will drop and open more doors to opportunity for other unique builds.

2. Less max skill level and more unique skills. One of the main reason why certain skills were never picked is that you need to reach max level of the essential skills like battle mage and siege mage. By lowering their max level (but increasing the power growth per level) and making new skills that has more unique characteristics, players can use spare skill points to skills that they normally wouldn't have gone and make the build more flexible. The best example of this would be perk system from Fallout.  

3. Extended Welding. What I mean by this is that non-primary skills like battle mage, mana up can weld with other skills to make brand new skills that empowers player in a very unique way. For example, you can weld siege mage and mana up to make a skill that give bonus damage based on max mana. This will actually promote people to get out of the fixed build and make gameplay style of each run different.

4. Potions. To deal with the cruel world, players can use various dru... I mean potions to overcome the ridiculous obstacles. It is basically a temporary skill you have at the cost of money and some penalties (like 20% slow when expired).

What you guys think about the current state of Solomon's Keep? Is there other ways to make the unpredictable skill set system more fun? Or is it just fine as it is? Please leave your thoughts on the comment section and keep on raiding keep. ;)

P.S. What about the Boneyard? That's... ...a different story.

P.S.S. Mr. Raptis... if you are reading this. please don't think it as "re-balance the old Solomon now!!". 

Comments

• edited October 2017
    hehe it's 2am (well 3:30am now lol) i don't think rapti is up and about.

2. is that like unlocking a higher tier of that spell/buff on a skill tree?

3. i like this idea it's kinda like what SD had with the magic shield and then the enhancement skill that made it into an explsive shield.

4. hows about something like exotic potions, where you'd take your potion and place it on the anvil to enhance it for a price and they have a downside like you suggested.
  • edited October 2017
    I will think on what you said.  But one note: I don't think it's "gaming kosher" to nerf enemies depending on what skills you get.  One of the things I despise about the Elder Scrolls games is that the enemies simply scale with you as you play-- this essentially removes any sense of progress or becoming badass.

Solomons Keep allows for good runs and bad runs-- the core gameplay is intended to be about adapting with what you've got.

This is why the shopkeeper and the teacher never change their supplies.  The intended game pattern is:

1. Start game
    2. Examine shopkeeper and teacher to see what is going to be available this game
    3. Make a general plan and select primary skill based on that information.

For example, if the shopkeeper has decent rings of battle mage available... you never need to waste a skill point on it.  If the teacher is selling Channel Mana or Magic Shield, your gameplay focus changes to collecting gold and getting just a single point in either of those skills.

So yes, skills will get some tweaking in HD (they have to, because there's new stuff that changes the whole situation), but in general, there will still be bad runs where you must play the game very differently than when you get a good run.

But that said, there will be dousing in keep, as well as other item powers and enhancements you can make, to shore up the bad runs.  The idea is to prevent "robotic play."
  • @Raptisoft

I am not saying to implement level-scaling system like most Bethesda games do. I am saying to make them nerfed in a way that it is humanly possible to deal with them even without proper build (assuming you are really good at this game).

My point is Solomon's Keep is NOT successfully promoting players to adapt with what they got as intended. If you look at any guides of how to beat Demigod or Gauntlet, nearly every guide promotes players to farm and get what they want, which is not even close to adapting with what you got. 

As shown in the example, Magic Shield and battle mage is just too essential for at least a decent run. In fact the game would be impossible to beat if life give you everything but those two. I am not saying to nerf those two. I am saying to make an environment that does not require those S-tier skills to beat the game. The whole rant about nerfing enemies and less max skill level and more new skills is all designed to shape an environment that any build has a chance of beating the game.

TLDW version: Even the bad runs should be able to beat the game if played properly.
  • edited October 2017
    I dunno peppermaster, if rapti is following a similar formula to what he had in SD (i believe he said he was carrying over some SD features to SKHD aside form the modding stuff in another thread) with armor/wand/staff sets then there really shouldn't be a need for nerfing anything (granted i never thought any of the solomon games needed a difficulty adjustment honestly speakin). 3x armor pieces (hat, robes, boots) 3-4 accessory pieces (necklace, rings) and a weapon (wand or staff) thats alot more than what the original SK/SB had at all. if SKHD is gonna have all that in it i don't really think there will be a lack of strength when going to survive the higher difficulties and you'd be able to make some interesting custom builds, other than i dunno dual wielding wands (akimbo wands hah) or a magic sword (a melee attack with an off chance to fire a barrage of magic missiles or a fireball) and offhand shield.

unless you're referring to re-tuning the original SK, i dunno if SK need a difficulty adjustment if anything maybe a better reward for killing a floor boss and maybe add some random spawning mid-bosses. i dunno the difficulty i think is not that bad (imo).
  • edited October 2017
    @war2k 

Having more item slot is helpful, but keep in mind that you can't fully rely on items because sometimes RNG hates you a lot. Also, the skills are quite not balanced not only because the some of these S-tier skills are just better, but also the environment makes the S-tier skills better than others. This phenomenon limits the amount of viable builds and make the game more un-fun.

I don't know if you have played through Gauntlet mode multiple times but as the difficulty goes higher, player with mediocre or bad build get stuck and almost never be able to beat the game unless they farm items or gold. Considering there is a nice surprise in Gauntlet difficulty, it is not fair for people with bad run not have a chance to reach Gauntlet mode at all. 

I personally prefer that 3rd option I wrote above because it make every skill have more use and add more unique skill without "making randomness less likely to give skill that you want or is useful" (quote from Mr. Raptis in one of my post). 
  • All runs in Solomon's Keep leave the player able to beat the game. When the game first came out I played it A LOT!!! One of my favorite things to do was spice it up with random skills, (indeed, before John implemented this many times I would only pick the center of the choices to achieve this effect). In this way many times I wound up with a build that was woefully inadequate BUT I could always win if I was persistent. Leaving the battle through the door many times was often needed but I could win.

While your suggestions are not without merit they make the game something that it is not. They make it a kind of Diablo clone. I love Diablo and am not knocking it. But Solomon is not Diablo. The allure to John's skill system, to me and many others, is the random nature of it. Every game is a different experience.  

Finally, Peppermaster, while there is no doubt of your good intentions, Solomon's Keep is John's work of art. It is something he does not only because he enjoys it, but because it is how he expresses himself to some level. When someone creates something, be it a video game, a painting, or a procedure for paperwork at an office, they do not want to hear that something is implemented wrongly when they created it in the first place. It comes off a bit as "I know you made this but you did it wrong. I know better then you as to what you want". It comes through in what you posted that no offense is intended, I just thought I would mention it.

I do know that John is appreciative of the time you and others have spent pondering ways to improve the game.

Darkest Wishes,

The Dork Lord.

• edited October 2017
    I just want to come to Pepper Masters defense and say that I think that English is clearly not his first language and he wrote in a way that was not meant to sound as insensitive as it sounds. whenever I read his posts I always get the sense that in his head he's translating from some other language into English.it's very clear from his writing style I don't even have to ask, I know I'm correct.

With that having been said if you rewrite what he said into a very politically correct and beautiful sounding way he has a point but I also think that it's a misrepresented aspect perhaps of some of the roguelike quality of this game.

In classical roguelikes, which happens to be a genre that I despise, your game is extremely heavily dependent on finding gear and getting lucky with skill choices and encounters if those are a part of the game ETC. the games are meant for you to die frequently and get frustrated. not all roguelikes even have a progress system where each death leads to some benefit in the next life sometimes they don't you just die for no purpose and it's just as brutally hard the next time and only one out of every hundred runs will you get the good stuff and the right and encounters and choices to be able to have a great incredible run. People seem to love that even though I always found it endlessly frustrating.

Although I'm not in rapti's head, playing this game enough has made me feel like his goal was to incorporate elements of true RPG nature with somewhat of a roguelike thematic experience. So basically a hybrid of the two genres but more leaning towards RPG as the base.

That's why he seems determined to always make games that play in under an hour, games where maybe you will just have a bad run and there ain't nothing you can do about it, games where you won't find decent equipment, and then of course that one out of 100 runs where everything lines up perfectly and you have the exhilarating feeling of beating the game with just your greatness guts and Glory.

In some ways even magic cabinets and scavengers are sort of ways to help players avoid getting so frustrated they throw away the game and never pick it up again, but really for the hardcore players aren't meant to be used. In my head I feel like they were not elements that were initially supposed to be incorporated, as in if you don't find the incredible plus 2 ring of awesome then you just don't get it that run

the idea that you should play through a thousand runs to find that ring so you could put it in side the magic cabinet with your other one that you managed to find so that you can make finally a character who is geared up the wazoo so that you can get your magical run forced out of the game is somewhat against the games roguelike thematic element.

In that sense I think both of you are right because he did incorporate the magic cabinet which does give one a sense that perhaps I should work hard to build the ultimate play through as a goal of the game.

In a sense, whenever you try and create a hybrid of two different genres you wind up with goals that are sometimes wonky. I think that it's really important that pepper master and everyone continue to post here always.

Although it's sometimes abrasive or annoying as an artist to read the feedback I think raptisoft knows that we are really a dedicated fanbase and he and his games are greatly beloved to us,and therefore he can handle a little bit of annoyance and take it with a grain of salt.

in the end hearing from the players who have the experience, and seeing things from their various perspectives will help him formulate his new genre according to both his own desires and also be able to see it from the perspective of those who are playing it heavily.

I also see from his responses that he is a very strong-willed person who is not easily going to be swayed from his goals so I think that I'm not worried to post things thinking oh he'll be offended or thinking maybe is going to change because somebody demanded something. he isn't and he won't but obviously every thought gets processed and things can only improve as a result.

That's just my humble opinion

sorry about the formatting I'm doing this from my cell phone
  • edited October 2017
    @TheDorkLord

I am not sure which part made you think I am trying make Solomon's Keep into Diablo clone but note that I am not attempting to remove random nature part at all. My point is that the unbalance among the skills have limited the potential of various unique builds and there are several ways that can make every build viable in some way. In other word, make players to have unique and fun experience each game. 

What you are saying "they do not want to hear that something is implemented wrongly when they created it in the first place" is that I have no right to criticize or review an artwork because the artist does not wish to hear any criticism about it. I don't think Mr. Raptis is some president who cannot listen to a reasonable criticism. I am sort of worried that because Solomon series hasn't got much public attention (it doesn't even have a wikipedia page), it has not received enough feedback deal with some of the issues it had (not the technical ones). Once the SKHD comes out on steam, more people will learn about the Solomon series and the problems hidden before SKHD may arise. Remember that artist may say or feel whatever he or she wants about the artwork but it is the customers who are going to buy it or not.

Hail Dorkness \[T]/

The Peppermaster

P.S. No offense but did you really read the whole thing or just some parts of it? It feels like you have mistaken my point.
  • Thank you for your replies. I am absolutely not saying John is above criticism. I am saying if a function or aspect within a piece of art is working as intended by the artist, in this case the skill system, it cannot be implemented wrongly. There may be, however, suggestions than can make it better.

I know Peppermaster's intention and that was never in question. I just though I would give some advice for outside of the forum but I am sure I did not make my point clear and so the fault lies with me.

I did read the whole thing as I do most everything posted on the forum. It is clear that Peppermaster puts a lot of thought into things and that is wonderful!

Darkest Wishes

The Dork Lord

• >I am absolutely not saying John is above criticism.

This is the first thing I am offended by on this whole thread.
  • @TheDorkLord

I think we are having miscommunication the whole time. When I was talking about not implemented correctly, I meant that it is not functioning as intended. 

I was just asking about reading the whole thing because I was not sure why you related my solutions to becoming Diablo copy. I am sorry for being a bit salty (or peppery cuz im pepper ;) ). 

Peppermaster

• @raptisoft was I accurate in my assessment of your games and their intent
  • Okay yeah I think this needs to de-escalate some before somethings said that can't be taken back. When you make someone feel offended that's not cool. Lets take a step back from this yeah and I think maybe close this thread before it gets worse?
  • I wasn't really offended, I was joking with DorkLord.

I read all data and make adjustments when I can.  I want SKHD to be one of those classic games that people will be talking about in 20 years, so I make note of all user's concerns (I was around for Diablo 2's launch-- that game wasn't "balanced" for more than 7 years and SKHD will have similar things turn up because it's multiplayer, and I have no way to split myself into a myriad to find all the concerns). 

As for Keep+Boneyard, they were designed for iPhone 1, which was the Atari 2600 of smartphones-- I feel no guilt for any shortcuts or limitations that got baked into them because there simply wasn't the memory, CPU, or graphical processing power.  I would not even have re-released them at all if Apple didn't pull their "hey, we're destroying everything--again" stunt.
  • Wait, Apple already did this once before?
  • Not quite the same... they once changed the way floating point numbers were stored (if you know code, they changed the alignment requirements) which invalidated every single non-text data file (including savegames) in every game I had.
  • Man, how did a company with such a complete disregard for developers manage to become a mobile giant?

Though I hear you're not too fond of Android development either?
  • I'm warming up to Android.  They made an incomprehensible decision in the very beginning to go with Java as the core, so that you have to build these very WEIRD C++ bridges into Java code... but other than that, so far everything Android has been pleasurable to code for.

Apple would be okay too, if they didn't constantly invalidate everything you've done.  I've joked, except it's not a joke, that it's impossible to become an expert at Apple's stuff-- every three years, any new person who never learned the older stuff has a huge advantage over you because they don't have to unlearn everything.
  • Isn't Java notorious for its poor performance? Seems like a strange choice to write an OS core in. Especially when said OS' hardware isn't all that powerful to begin with.
  • I think the original point of Android was flexibility, not speed.  At the time of its development (I think it even predated iOS) it was all about flip phones and nobody really imagined that phones would replace computers.