Rope climb must die.

Hello fellow programmers. I am making a plea to ask to to stop doing the rope limb glitch. In my humble opinion it adds no value to the level. And it blocks progression for 95% of the players to the rest of your beautiful levels. I admit that I totally stink at it :)

Comments

• I agree.  It makes me sad, because it's just frustrating, and I end up giving up on the level 75% of the time.
  • I too am frustrated with the number of rope climbs as I can occasionally do it, just not that frequently.
  • I'd say practice it on one of fombs levels that only feature that particular glitch. Once you get it it's quite fun to utilize
  • edited November 2015
    Thanks Kyleseglin, I agree.  I understand though, I found it tough to reproduce when I started using it.  Once you get the hang of it though, you'll be doing it quickly.  Here's a little advice:

You need to be on the very edge of the brick below, exactly like you would to touch a lava brick without dying (only losing a heart).  Then you jump and press towards the barrier.  Very specifically, it's important that you jump THEN press into the barrier.

You'll notice in most of my levels that use this trick that there is a long column of barrier up against a long column of wall.  At the bottom of the wall column, the barrier extends for two spaces further (giving you ample space to jump and press).  The floor is almost always next to an empty space to allow lining the jump up easier.  Here's a crude diagram of what I'm talking about:
    >◻
    >◻
    >◻
    >◻
    >
    > x
       ◻◻◻◻◻◻◻◻
       ◻
       ◻ y
    ◻◻

> is the barrier, ◻ is a wall block, the x is you.
    In this example, stand on the furthest left pixel on the box below the 'x'.  You can use the space to the left to jump first against the wall (marked with the y) and once in the open space delicately tap right to land on that very little bit of the edge.  Once there, jump then press left.  You'll stick to the wall.

Seriously, a little practice and you'll do it almost without thinking...and quickly.
  • To make the diagram more clear for anyone who cant see the symbols just highlight his message.
  • I made a level "Ropeclimb practice".  There are four wallclimbs in it.  The first is exactly as my above diagram.  The second is the same, but with a shorter barrier (to make it a tad harder).  The third is an inverted version, a little trickier to position.  And the last requires you to target a brick.  Run the level a few times and you'll be doing the ropeclimb thang easily.

• I have played every fomb level in existence. (Hi fomb, long time no email.) I've played most of them twice if not more, even the huge huge huge ones. I would say that literally the only ones I have not completed are rope climb levels. I would describe myself as a B+ or maybe charitably A- player with a strong personal threshold for repetitive death and tricky jumps and horrid combos. But rope climb sets my teeth on EDGE and it is a real ragequitter.
  • Thank you for playing my levels!  I'm glad you made it through some of the huge, huge, huge ones.  I can be long-winded sometimes ;)
    If you get a chance to try the ropeclimb practice (especially after eyeing the above advice) let me know if that helps out any.  It does get easier.  My best time on the ropeclimb practice is 48 seconds.  I remember when I first found out that it could be done, I couldn't seem to reproduce it reliably, but after getting the feel for it, lining the jump up appropriately, it starts working smoothly.
    Thanks again for playing,

• I was most frustrated. I almost cried on one of Kyleseglin's very challenging levels when a tricky rope climb was at the very end.

However, I've now become a master! Yes, practise makes perfect. I can now very easily do this, bring it on.
  • Great news!  Yeah, just a little practice and it's second nature.
    I just put up a bit of an advanced rope-climb level called "Puzzleur".  
    Hope everyone likes it.  :)
  • You on about the rope climb next to the acid wall? Daunting at first but ultimately easy peasy.

I played Puzzleur about 10 times now and I just can't get the last yellow card. I've been thinking this is not acquirable at all and that you have to shoot the switch block through the yellow block without using the yellow you do have? However, not having any success with this. Last time I tried, I finished up to this stage in 7 minutes flat!!! 

Oh hold on, I just got a brainwave, let me try Puzzleur one last time, I'm sure this will work! :D
  • Clocked it, as expected!

Awesome level as always Fomb :D
  • Thanks!  Yeah, there is a bit of a yellow card deception.  You need the yellow card above the kitty to get to the kitty.  The second yellow card is inaccessible (ends the game if you get it).  You're right, you've gotta shoot through the yellow door and need to wait till after that to get the primary yellow card (otherwise it'll be almost impossible not to use it in the wrong place).
    Glad you liked it.  :)
  • "almost impossible not to use it in the wrong place"
    That took me a couple times to understand haha