My take on Paladin: general stuff

Now that I have kind of done with Mage(with the exception of items), I wanted to do my take on other stuff like paladin. Since there aren't really much stuff out there about paladin, I will make lots of skills and systems that are probably different from what John is thinking. Though most of them may differ from what he thought of, I will try my best to utilize all the information there is about Paladin in this forum and stay similar to his direction of Paladin as possible. Since there are these annoying character limits I will post each of the skill stuff separately and for here I will talk more about how Paladin works in general.

1. Saints
 Like Mages, Paladins choose a build defining characteristic called Patron Saint. There are total of four saints to choose from. Each saints determines how you gain faith, your resource, and gives access to exclusive skills. Also, faith does not regenerates normally.

Zyn, the scribe: Zyn is the saint of holy writings who believes in delivering the message of god to all beings no matter what. You gain faith through Recite skill. Recite skill makes paladin to recite The Scroll of Light, disabling any other action except moving for set duration. Focused on faith skills
Elovian, the flagellant: Elovian is the saint of martyrs who believes faith can only come through sacrifice. in You gain faith through taking damage or mitigating damage. Focused on perseverance skills
Luxyan, the inquisitor: Luxyan is the saint of retribution who punishes the evil-doers and destroys unholy constructs to make the world more clean. You gain faith through dealing damage to enemies. Focused on compassion skills

2. Skill 
Paladin's skill will be divided into three types: faith, perseverance(basically rewording of defense), compassion (basically rewording of offense). Compassion is about offensive stuff, Perseverance is about defensive skills, and faith is about utility. Based on your patron saint, you will have higher chances of getting the skill type that your saint prefers. You can only get advanced skills within the skill type only if it matches with your patron saint. However, this does not necessarily means that you cannot get skills from other types. Just like a fire mage can get flash freeze or frost jet, you can also get skill type of different kind as well. It is also possible to earn advanced skill that only players who has skills from two different skill types similar to weld spells. 

3. Weapon
Paladin has three types of weapons: sword, mace, and polearm. Sword is a standard weapon with medium damge, short knockback, and fast attack speed. Mace is a weapon with strong attack damage, medium knockback, and slow attack delay. Polearm is a weapon with long reach, medium attack damage, and has various unique attacks exclusive to polearm. Also, polearm is the only weapon that prevents you from using shield. Sword excels in very close combat and plays similar to zealdin in diablo 2. Mace excels in more of a hit n run kind of tactics. Polearm is more focused on utility such as crowd controls, disables, and keeping distance at the cost of absence of shield.

Comments

• A change on this post

There will be another skill category called Weapons which will have all the stuff related to weapons. As I design how the weapons will differ, I think it would be best to separate them because there are quite a lot of skills that could be about weapons.